Friday, July 10, 2009

Video Project Proposal

For my video I will be going through an internal struggle that happens quite often. I will be working on something such as homework then the "internal me" will place a distraction near me such as a game or phone etc. I will have the option of picking it up or not but I do. This happens a few times throughout the video. I keep looking at the clock feeling guilty but keep listening to the "inner me" and get distracted. Then I take a breath and close my eyes. When I open them the "inner me" is gone. Finally one last distraction is placed in front of me but I can ignore it.
The footage will mostly be in doors but I was thinking about one of the distractions going outside for variation. I will most likely be the only one in the video but if I can find volunteers I could possibly write them in.
I want the audience to think about a persons willpower especially against themself. I also wanted to put some distractions in there that weren't completely bad so that the audience thinks about priorities. Often times it's easy to procrastinate on something important with other things that are still important and good.
I don't think there would be too much audio in this. Probably some sound effects coming from the distractions. I do want some music in there too that starts off calm and gets more nervous as I keep running out of time. There will be some first person shots and also some mid shots. I don't think I'll need too many master shots though. I do want to start it off with an extreme closeup on my pencil tapping the paper or something to show what I'm doing then slowly zoom out so the viewer continually gets more information about me and my surroundings. I will have some shots where I'll look on the table and nothing will be there but when I look back the distraction will have appeared. Then it will pan up revealing me as my inner self so you know I put it there.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tim,

    • What are you trying to do that keeps getting interrupted? (i.e. homework, a drawing, making something, writing a letter, etc.) This is the main goal - so it's important to choose something relevant
    • Once you decide that, then what are the interruptions - are they activities, memories, people (i.e. playing games, photographs, phone calls). Do you want to limit to one type or have many? We as viewers will try to weave a story from the various objects/symbols/distractions, so don't be random - put significance in each choice.
    • Are the distractions all "unhealthy" or are some okay? What is their progression? (i.e. worse, more significant, more personal). Could their progression somehow reveal more about the character or even tell his story?
    • What is the time deadline? How does that play into the overall goal?
    • use a tripod and carefully shoot the shots of you and the closeups etc.
    • how do you portray the real you vs. the inner self? Do you look different? Does the inner self stay the same or change clothes, "look", etc?
    • be careful with the audio. Consider having a parallel story with the audio that somehow makes the internal struggle become a metaphor.

    Concept: B+
    Proposal: A-

    ReplyDelete